In case anyone is looking for some tips on packing for a comparable tour, here’s what I packed. For the most part, I’m satisfied with the selection. I’ll probably make a few adjustments to the amount and type of cycling clothing – especially the rain gear.
- Specialized TriCross. -Worked very well except for the seat. A Brooks B-17 is already on order.
- Arkel GT-18 panniers. The GT-18s are sold as either front or small rear panniers. I think 10 days is just about at the limit of what I’d use the GT-18s for. It would have been nice to have just a bit more room. I’ll probably get a set of GT-54s in the future.
- Arkel Handlebar bag. I used their “Small Handlebar Bag” which was certainly large enough for me. I only wish the map holder was removable since I use the Garmin Edge 800.
- tire irons
- tubes (2)
- CO2 cartridges (2)
- CO2 head
- Camelbak Podium Big Chill (25oz) water bottles (2)
- chamois butter (9ml packets, 4). And with the stock Specialized seat, I needed them. Next time I’ll have the 8oz tube.
- head lamp. Just in case…
- tail lamp. Just in case…
- cable lock
- baseball cap – kept in handlebar bag
- cotton tee shirt (short sleeve)
- sweater (North Face pull-over)
- underpants – ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Brief. If you’re only going to take one pair, these are the ones to take.
- pants with zippered legs – Mountain Hardware
- wool socks
- Sanuks – light, comfortable, very packable
- short sleeve bike shirt, Under Armour (2)
- long sleeve bike shirt (1)
- bike shorts
- bike shorts, mountain bike style. Didn’t use them and won’t take them again.
- bike gloves
- bike gloves (long)
- bike socks (2)
- bike shoes
- knee warmers
- rain jacket
- rain pants
- iPod Nano
- iPad camera connection kit
- Digital Camera – Olympus Tough
- Recharger – AC/USB
- Garmin Edge 800
- Garmin Edge 500 – backup
- USB cable (Micro B) – used for charging Mophie iPhone battery and Garmin Nuvi
- USB Cable (Mini B), used to charge Garmin Edge 500/800
- USB Cable (Dock Connector), iPhone, iPhone, iPod
- USB Cable (Olympus) – to charge Olympus digital camera
Never did camp but it’s risky to not be prepared. Sometimes there’s just no choice.
- MSR Hubba Hubba. I’ll opt for the lighter 1-man Hubba next time.
- sleeping bag
- air pillow
- PowerBar GelBlasts (6)
- Gatorade powder (8)
- GU (4)
- chap stick
- liquid soap
- insect repellent
- fingernail clippers
- drivers license
- credit card
- small wallet
- large wallet